MINUTES OF COMPTON MARTIN PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD ON 21 JANUARY 2019 AT 7.00 P.M.
IN COMPTON MARTIN SCHOOL ROOM
Councillor R Chapman (RCh)
Councillor A Jurkiw – (AJ) Chairman
Councillor K Moore – (KM)
Councillor P Shipman – (PS)
Clerk Jane Griffiths
District Councillor Victor Pritchard (VP)
10 Members of the Public
1. To receive and accept apologies for absence
· Councillor C Craig – due to holiday
· Councillor J Halling-Brown – due to holiday
2. Receive comments from the public
· Comments were received regarding motor cycles in Villice Lane and Gigaclear
3. Receive declarations of interest in the agenda
· None received
4. To approve and sign the minutes of the previous meeting
· It was proposed and seconded that the minutes of 10 December 2018 be approved and signed. All in favour
5. Letter of confirmation to the NatWest Bank that bank statements/information should be given to the Clerk of Compton Martin Parish Council.
Due to the closure of the NatWest Branch in Chew Magna and the fact that the Clerk was not a signatory to the Parish Council Bank Account, it was proposed and seconded that a letter be signed informing the Wells Branch that the Parish Council wished the Clerk to receive information, when requested, relating to such items as interest payments. All in favour. The Chairman and two councillors signed the letter.
6. Email received regarding the condition and safety of Villice Lane due to scrambling bikes using this lane on a more frequent basis.
· The Clerk confirmed that Villice Lane is a Byway Open to all Traffic (BOAT). The motor cyclists in question therefore do have a right to ride in Villice Lane, but as with all public highways, the correct insurance, tax and licences etc. must be in place. It was further confirmed that the Public Rights of Way Officer for B&NES had been informed of this issue and had visited Villice Lane to look at damage etc. It would appear the motor cyclists are also using Bristol Waterworks land which is private land. This has been reported to Bristol Waterworks who will be dealing with this issue.
7. To confirm the following payments and signing of cheques:
· It was proposed and seconded that the following payments be made. All in favour.
Cheque No or Standing Order
Cheque signed by
Payee and Description
Mrs E Griffiths Clerk’s Salary – January 2019
Purchase of Stationery and Ink Cartridges
8. 8. To receive an update on the current Parish Councillor Vacancy and to consider and agree any applications from members of the parish.
· Three applications had been received from parishioners to be considered for the short term vacancy as a parish councillor. One applicant had since withdrawn their application. All three applicants are however, considering standing for election in May 2019. AJ and KM will arrange to meet the remaining two applicants before the next meeting with a view to making a recommendation to councillors at the February meeting.
9. To receive Updates from Working Parties
1. Coombe View and The Batch
· To receive an update regarding the grass cutting arrangements for 2019/20.
No further progress had been made regarding securing a contractor to cut the grass on Coombe View and The Batch other than the one contractor who had previously tendered for the work. There was however, one lead which was currently being investigated. It was therefore proposed and seconded that should the lead be unsuccessful the Working Party should secure the first contractor for a 12 month trial period. All in favour.
2. The Pond
· Nothing further to report.
· To receive an update on tenders to be sent out regarding work to bus shelters.
As agreed at the previous meeting tenders for this work had been produced, and were distributed to parish councillors for their information. The tenders will be sent out by the Clerk in the coming days.
· The Clerk confirmed that a new Community Engagement Manager had been appointed by Gigaclear and they would be attending a meeting in the School Room the following day.
10. Budget for 2019/20
1. To receive a Payments and Receipts Account to 31 December 2018
A Payments and Receipts Account to 31 December 2018 was distributed.
2. To receive and agree any changes to the 2019/20 budget from Working Parties
The draft budget was discussed and other than increasing the clearing weed from pond cost by £50, no other changes were suggested.
3. To confirm changes to the budget for 2019/20.
It was proposed and seconded that the changes to the budget for 2019/20 were confirmed and agreed. All in favour
11. 2019/20 Budget
1. To formally agree the 2019/20 budget.
It was proposed and seconded that the 2019/20 budget be agreed. All in favour.
12. The Parish Precept for 2019/20
- To consider the Parish Precept for 2019/20
The Parish Precept for 2019/20 was discussed and councillors agreed that the Precept for Compton Martin should remain at the same level at the previous year.
13. To formally approve the Parish Precept for 2019/20
It was proposed and seconded that the Precept be formally approved and the Chairman of the Parish Council sign the Parish Precept Requirement for 2019/20 for £18,000. All in favour.
14. Planning Applications
1. To consider and comment on the following B&NES Planning Decisions received:
- 17/00075/FUL – Land between Leamon Cottage and Mendip Villas, The Street, Compton Martin. The erection of 10no dwelling houses, including access on to The Street, 24no of street parking spaces, and associated soft/hard landscaping. – Revised Landscape Proposals – PENDING
District Councillor Pritchard reported that the Section 106 was still with the planning agents awaiting signature.
- 18/02543/FUL - Chew Valley Lake Walking and Cycle Trail for walkers and cyclists around Chew Valley Lake (including associated engineering works) NOW AMENDED SUCH THAT THE EASTERN SECTION AND SOUTHERN SECTION ARE NOW EXCLUDED FROM THE APPLICATION. PERMISSION NOW SOUGHT FOR NORTH-WEST SECTION ONLY. Applicant – Sustrans Limited – PENDING
2. To receive a report from the Planning Working Party and consider their recommendations regarding the following Planning Applications.
- Fairash Poultry Farm, Compton Martin Road, West Harptree. Variation of condition 2 of application 17/05748/FUL (Conversion and part demolition of redundant poultry sheds to form 2 no live-work dwellings and associated access and landscaping works (Resubmission)
(NB An extension to respond to this consultation has been received)
It was proposed and seconded that this item be placed on the February agenda. All in favour.
15. To receive reports from Councillors who have attended outside meetings and dates of future outside meetings.
· ALCA Meeting – 16th January 2019
The Clerk attended this meeting and confirmed that Parish Councils will be charged for by-elections in future and some Councils, but not B&NES, are charging for elections. Training was discussed and in house training for all councillors will be arranged for May 2019.
16. To receive an update from District Councillor Victor Pritchard
Councillor Pritchard reported on the collection of green waste to start from the 28th January. Clean air consultation.
17. Future Dates of Meetings
· 11 February 2019
· 11 March 2019