PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NEXT MEETING OF COMPTON MARTIN PARISH COUNCIL WILL BE HELD ON THE 13 SEPTEMBER 2021 AT 7.15 IN THE VILLAGE HALL.
THE MEETING HELD ON THE 22 JUNE COVERED JUNE AND JULY 2021. THERE IS NO SCHEDULED MEETING FOR AUGUST 2021.
MEETINGS WILL RESUME IN SEPTEMBER AND WILL BE HELD ON THE SECOND MONDAY OF EACH MONTH.
Compton Martin lies in the west of Bath and North East Somerset, straddling the A368 and nestling below the north slopes of the Mendip Hills approximately midway between Bath and Weston-super-Mare, with Brisol 12 miles to the north and Wells over the Mendip Hills to the south. It is within the Mendip Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and part of the village is also a conservation area.
The population has remained fairly static, despite the changing face of life, the loss of the hamlet of Moreton under the waters created for the Chew Valley Lake in the 1950s, and a large area of "top of Mendip" to Priddy, when Avon was formed.
The village is primarily a commuter based village now, with only two farms remaining with large dairy herds and some local and home based businesses.
There are two halls, The Old Schoolroom was the school from 1843 to 1950 and is next door to the Church. The Village Hall at the east end of the village was built as a memorial after the First World War.
One public house remains, the Ring 'o Bells, which is in the centre of the village. The local shop (since the 1840s) sadly closed in 2001, but we retained the Post Office.
Our twelfth century church "is considered one of the finest specimens of Norman architecture" in Somerset (Ref: Pevsner) with a twisted column and a very rare columbarium (a pigeon loft).